As we head into the end of the semester, it’s time to take some stock of how it’s gone.
(1) My classes have been outstanding. The kids eat it all up and ask for more. I’m raising my game, and it feels great. Nice to have to really push yourself.
(2) I’ve been playing again. Been rehearsing and performing with the UMM Brass Ensemble. Who knows – maybe next semester I’ll get in a quartet or quintet. Might be acquiring a euphonium as well, so there’s that.
(3) My Susannah research was quite well received at the SCI Region VI conference, and I am about to submit it to a journal. I also submitted my Jesus Christ Superstar research to another journal, and the Rocky Horror stuff is percolating nicely.
(4) It feels good to be composing again. Ghost Mountains is better than I thought it would be, and I have a couple of commissions coming up.
(5) I am taking on some additional responsibilities at work. This will keep me busy, but I believe this will also lay the groundwork for some nice opportunities. I am also stepping outside of the college and doing some discipline-related service.
(6) My niece Amanda is getting married in just under three weeks. While I am not old enough to have a niece getting married, I shall deal with it.
It’s not perfect; I’m not losing as much weight as I want to, but I’m hoping with some additional income (now that the missus has a job) to get a membership at the school’s gym and get in three or four good workouts every week. Also, Dad has had some weird health issues lately. But there’s nothing here that is really bad, and I’ll take it.